Salaam, Namaste, Ola and Hello!
Welcome citizen to the ‘I am IT Geek’ blog! This is part 2 of my experience with Azure Active Directory Migration a few years ago.
In part one I set the scene and explained how we ended up with Azure AD as the solution to meet this customers requirements, but all this was still theory. Due to this technology being relativity new at the time, the customer wanted a Proof of Concept (POC) setting up and then to test with live users. The main purpose of this was to enable us to document the migration process but at the same time iron out any potential issues before the mass migration to over 300 users.
Before POC could take place I needed to ensure the back-end Azure and Intune was setup correctly. With this particular customer, as they already used Office 365, SharePoint online and Sky for Business, the Azure Active Directory was already setup and working. The Intune setup was simple enough: Enable Intune via Azure AD, Create a Security Group for the Intune policy and assign the relevant users to this group and finally configure the Intune Policy.
Currently the Intune policy options are what I would call ‘Basic’ as you only really have a handful of security like settings (password length, Password type, password lockout etc). At the time of writing this Intune is very much in it’s infancy but knowing Microsoft it will be a service that will develop very quickly.
With the basics of the policy completed there was some final testing to complete around profile migration, which ended up being the trickiest part. The main reason for this being a requirement was that when you add a Windows 10 device to the Azure Domain it creates a new blank profile, much like it would if you were to add the any on premises domain. In the end we found a great tool called ‘ForensiT User Profile Wizard’ which basically migrated the old local profile into the new Azure AD profile. The slight caveat to this was that it did not migrate Google password store as this is encrypted, but logging into Google with the users gmail account got round this issue.
The POC was a massive success with the group of test users being migrated seamlessly and once migrated saw no difference in there daily work which was a massive positive. In a way that is always a massive aim with any type of migration…make the impact to users as little as possible!
Due to the size of the migration being so wide (offices all over the world), my scope was to roll out Azure AD to the UK based users and provide documentation to allow the Global Infrastructure team to slowly migrate the global users onto the platform. The main migration was a massive success which was all down to the careful planning, testing and documentation done in the build up.
Since the migration I have worked with the customer to implement Single sign on for 3rd party apps via Azure including SalesForce as well as deploying applications via Intune which just shows how they are embracing the platform!
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this two part blog of my experience with and Azure AD implementation/migration! Until next time, ‘I am IT geek’ over and out!